Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Chris Cornell!!!!

My name is Gila, I am currently working towards my Masters degree in education at Molloy college. When I am not doing school work or working as a makeup artist, I listen to rock music and love going to live concerts. The other day a friend called me with amazing news, one of my favorite musicians is coming in concert for an acoustic show in April.  This would be a great opportunity to go see him play. His name is Chris Cornell, and to me he has the most beautiful voice in rock music. He is a true talent through and through. I have been listening to Chris Cornell since I was 14. He is the lead singer of the bands Soundgarden and Audioslave; he also has his own solo projects. He is one of the most talented rock musician of my time. His voice is so distinct, always filled with passion with a soulful sound. I have seen him preform three times thus far and every time he comes to New York, I try to get tickets. So that day was a good day, it was the best news I had recieved all day. I knew we had to get tickets. Once I got home, I logged on the computer to order our tickets. With my friend on the phone, I anxiously searched through Ticketmaster to find them. To our dismay the tickets were already sold out. My heart sunk and my dreams of watching Chris Cornell once a close reality, shattered in the matter of moments. I guess I will wait until the next tour.

Vocabulary:
Solo (noun)- any performance, as a dance, by one person.
Talented (adjective)-having talent or special ability; gifted.
Distinct (adjective)-distinguishing or perceiving clearly
Passion (noun)-any powerful or compelling emotion or feeling, as love or hate.
Received (adjective)- generally or traditionally accepted;
Opportunity (noun)- an appropriate or favorable time or occasion
Anxiously (adjective)- uneasy and apprehensive about an uncertain event or matter; worried.

Fill in the blank:
1. The meeting offered an __________ to exchange ideas.
2. The girl gave her mother a hug with great _____________.
3. Tim _______ a letter from his brother while in school.
4. Rachel keeps her private life and her professional life _________ from one another.
5. He used to sing with a partner, but now he sings ________.
6. Jack has a very ________ dog; it can walk backwards while holding a Frisbee. 
7. I spent the day __________ waiting for my test result.

Grammar Points:
There are several descriptive words in this paragraph. We have learned that an adjective is a word imputing a characteristic to a noun or pronoun. Find at least three descriptive words and use them in a paragraph of your own.









3 comments:

  1. Hi Gila! I enjoyed reading your post and also enjoy listening to Chris Cornell. My favorite song from Soundgarden is Black Hole Sun and I agree with you about the quality of his voice. I did not know he also sings in another group (Audioslave). Thanks for the update on Chris Cornell. Can you suggest what songs from Audioslave I should check out? Look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the post. If you are familiar with Rage Against the Machine and like them, you will love Audioslave. The band is formed by the members of Rage except Chris Cornell replaced their original singer. Audioslave has three albums out; a self titled, Out of Exile, and Revelations. They are all great but if you haven't listen to Audioslave, you should get the first self titled albums it is by far my favorite. As far as specific songs, here are some of my favorites from all three albums: Original Fire, Revelations, Be Yourself, Your time has come, Doesnt Remind Me,Set it Off, Cochise, Shadown of the Sun, I am a highway, Gasoline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gila!

    Thanks for your response and taking the time to share specifics on album and song information. When I get the opportunity to listen to your suggestions, I will share my comments with you.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete